Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Your looks are laughable, unphotographable.

Still you're my favorite work of art. Stay, funny valentine, stay...

I'm still fevered today, though less so. It's been really something here, I can't tell you. But I want to thank everyone who's wished me well recently. It means a lot. Thank you.

I've eaten almost nothing since Saturday. Which, now that I type that and read it, it looks pretty bad, like it can't possibly be helping me to recover any faster. But luckily I've more than made up for any nourishment I may've missed out on as a result of not eating any real, honest-to-God food, by meeting (and surpassing) my RDA for passive entertainment. By which, what I really mean is that I'm sick to death of my DVD collection. Seriously, if I never have cause to watch any of those films again, I'll be pleased as a pig in punch or whatever. Calgon, take me away...

The best thing I watched recently was a double feature of Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring. Jean de Florette in particular. GĂ©rard Depardieu is always making good choices and the story and it's telling are so simple and sad, it reminded me of The Bicycle Thief.

But I'm listening to Over the Rhine now. I heard them first in November, and I've felt mixed about them since. When they're off, they can come across saccharine and calculating; on, and they express love and longing with a simple, high clarity. A fair trade maybe, all things considered.

~~~~~~~

Shout, shout, let it all out.

In a fever-dream last night a man I know was trying to kill me. He was driving a car and I was trapped in the backseat, bound and unable to escape. He drove us somewhere, to the shore of an ocean I'd never been to before. But when we got there what it really looked like was the Ends of the Earth...

I did escape, quite easily actually, once I'd set my mind to it. But running, I was calling to a friend of mine, K, who was near me, ahead of me, calling to her for help when I woke.

And that's the last image I have: running through some beautiful alien landscape, free for the moment, caught between what would harm me and what I believe may be my salvation.