Friday, July 4, 2008

Metaltainment

Daniel Johnston was excellent. He played the most convincing version of I Saw Her Standing There I've ever heard (or, more convincing than I've heard from any band which doesn't already happen to be the Beatles. The Beatles were fucking amazing.). And he encored with True Love Will Find You In the End, which was beautiful. I love that song. It channels his innocence and frames his naiveté.

He was more competent than I expected, and funny, too. He told the audience about a dream he'd had where he was arrested for attempting to commit suicide, a crime for which he was sentenced to death.

With archetypal depth and irony, he didn't want to meet death against his will and he mimicked his dream-self for us, crying out "no! nooooo!"

~~~~~~~

Rashid texted me over the weekend that I had to see Wall-E so after LBC Monday I went to the theater with him and J.

Wall-E is a ton of fun and, believe it or not, 2001-esque. Kubrick references were made throughout, some of them explicit, some more subtle. Very fun. I never met a Pixar film I didn't like.

Sabitathica's official assestimate: A film you can feel good about feeling good about.

In front of Wall-E was my new least-favorite trailer - for a movie called Beverly Hills Chihuahua. You can watch it here if you're so inclined. Which you shouldn't be. I'm not kidding. You've been warned...

You: But, Sabitathica. It doesn't have to be of high quality: it's for kids. It's not for adults.
Sabitathica: Shut up.

~~~~~~~

Wednesday night was Iron Man with Jennifer, where Robert Downey Jr. flexed his hella-charisma. And as usual, there was post-film debriefing time next door at the Righteous Room with several Highland Gaelic Ales.

Strangely, I have endured no small amount of grief concerning Wall-E and Iron Man. I've talked with several people who would have me believe that seeing these films is proof that I have terrible taste and fail at life.

It's true that most comic-book movies are insulting and sloppily made (cf, the ridiculous X-Men and the retarded and disastrous Spiderman), but they're not all going to be that way. Patterns evolve, and the good times, hopefully, aren't genre-specific.

Opeth are playing a song about that very thing right now.

~~~~~~~

Margaritas last night with Cassandra, who looked at me like I was retarded and sloppily-made when I mentioned I'd seen Wall-E and Iron Man.

La Fonda is good.