Thursday, September 11, 2008

The new office 1: the view

I mentioned this earlier, but I've been temporarily relocated to a new working space as my office is being renovated. I've been in this new office a few weeks already. And it has several sweet things going for it, over and above the fact that it's far removed from the chaos and mayhem which is the School of Music administrative nerve-center.

My new office is a corner office, and there's lots of windows and light, which so far is not bothering my slight photophobia. Looking east, I can see the Westin a few blocks away, still badly damaged from the tornado that battered downtown on Saint Patrick's Day weekend.



I'm not sure what this next building is called, but it channels a bit of New York pre-war gothic, don't you think? Louis Sullivan meets... the Dakota? There are too few of these buildings in the south.


An architecture more typical of Bedlam is the Georgia Pacific building. Pink granite? check. Tall (for downtown ATL)? check. Character? Mmm, not so much. I worked in this building for a few months before I went to Dagobah to study the Alexander Technique.


Shortly before leaving Georgia Pacific, there was a heated debate between two opposing groups, the first of which had the charming and creative idea of changing the name of the organization to "Georgia Terrific". The opposing camp was a disorganized mass of stuffy nay-sayers. As I recall, I was the only person belonging to the first group.

~~~~~~~

Looking out my north-facing windows and depending on the weather, I sometimes have a view of Kennesaw Mountain, which you can see hazily below. The Georgia Aquarium is also hiding toward the bottom of the picture...


and Atlanta wouldn't be Atlanta without the CNN Center: