Tuesday, September 30, 2008

This time tomorrow we'll be just one day closer

There's no gas in Atlanta.

Two weeks ago Hurricane Ike hit Texas (and Louisiana, and Cuba, and Grand Turk Island, etc.) and it (like Hurricane Gustav before it) damaged some refineries, causing Bedlam's gas supply to suddenly drop. Now filling stations are closed and there's a lot fewer cars on the road. I saw on the news how people now follow gas tankers around to see if/where they're delivering. There are fewer people downtown now, and fewer students at school. L keeps commenting how surreal it all is.

L bought a 2-gallon tank she keeps with her in her car. She fills it up when she sees an open station and I siphon it into my car using some old fishtank tubing. The first time she could only fill it three-quarters of the way because some mean people were yelling at her.

I ran out of gas last Friday, but thanks to L I now have whatever three-quarters of two gallons is. And plus she's coming back tonight with two gallons more. Until things improve, she's been driving me to work in the mornings.

Now playing, the soundtrack to the Mahabharata.