Monday, September 3, 2007

We've all gone crazy lately

Trouble sleeping. I was up until about 06:00, wired, unable to shake some strange wakefulness, my head overflowing with thoughts, my horses bucking. Awake until 06:00, which was just a few minutes before my (goddamn) alarm went off. Past five and close to sleep, I mobilized myself to investigate two loud, sharp knocks at the door to my front porch. This deep into the night, there's no reason for someone, anyone, to be knocking on my door, but of course you have to check. I don't know though, maybe I'd only imagined it, because when I opened it there was nobody there. I'm not sure what I thought I was going to do anyway. I was only in boxers, and apart from my body itself, totally weaponless (I keep a natural wood Louisville Slugger by my bed, just in case, but in my sleepless forgetfulness, I opened the door without it).

So I did what I usually do when I'm home alone and can't sleep - I watched 2001, beautiful soporific masterpiece.

The other night, the night the weather changed (it's been cooler here than it was throughout August), I had a vivid, technicolor dream. I was standing in front of the Atlantic, on the porch of the Marshfield house, looking out at the moon, which was enormous - as big as the earth - and only a few feet away. The porch had no railing, and I almost jumped across, over to the moon. I probably could have. Part of the imagery came from a story I read by Calvino in '96 called the distance of the moon. I almost jumped, but I didn't. Something stopped me. It felt dangerous, maybe.

Now playing: Someone saved my life tonight, by Elton John.

I'm leaving in a few minutes to meet Rashid for dinner at Figo. We ate together yesterday too, at La Fonda.

Backtracking: on Friday I left work early and went to Jason's for a drink and to watch some early Beatles footage (I have a great weakness for all things early-Beatle). From there we headed over to Rashid's for more drinks and engaging guy-talk. Eventually we all moved on to La Fonda for dinner and even more drinks. And later we drove to Sheila and Tim's, et al, where there was a house party in mid-swing and the drinking began in earnest. And then, finally, back home.

There was something to celebrate - I'm now vested, after ten years at GSU.

My head has been a tumult again today. I'm going to try to get some real rest tonight. Wish me luck.