Tuesday, February 3, 2009

And I am you and what I see is me

The 50-year anniversary of the death of Buddy Holly.

Very busy these days. Work is dense and productive. Home life is filled with good times.

Spring semester is my busiest time of the year - auditions to manage, girls crying in my office (what's up D!), workmen drilling and hammering and generally renovationalizing outside my door.

L got a new job which she's very happy about. Which I'm very happy about.

On the tech front, I am now the proud owner of a bouncing baby iPhone, which I sometimes refer to as "my precious" and stare at covetously when no one else is around.

Once upon a time I was excited to get to work on editing together the video footage from this past holiday season's awesome festivities, but Josh - who has asked to be called Number Six - hasn't send me the items I need to get started, even though he's told me twice that I would have them "by the end of the week." But a month later and my interest in this project has waned and there may not be a Robert Browning New Year after all. I am drawn to other things.

Among said other things are several musical projects. Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun is now complete and I'm finishing up a spiffy rendition of Cirrus Minor. Also in rotation is a lovely piece called September in Lake Sane by Mr. O which I've been recruited to work on, my instructions being to "think of it as a painting and you can add layers to it," qualified only by the cryptic question: "Can you hear Kate St. John?"

Speaking of the iPhone, Crayon Physics Deluxe, a version of which is available as an app and a trailer for which can be seen here, has stolen several hours from my life. I also like the Ocarina application, which turns your iPhone into - believe it or not - a functional wind instrument. It's a little hard to explain, but you can see a demonstration here. It's pretty cool, but it'll be better when it has

1. polyphonicism
2. chromaticism
3. the ability to program/adjust the sound attributes, especially timbre.