Friday, February 6, 2009

The constable had to come and take him away...

It's Friday, and there have been more girls crying in my office (what's up, C!). She was pretty funny about it though. After she calmed down a bit I began teasing her:

Sabitathica: Aww, that's okay. You know what they say: "the weepy shall inherit the Earth."
C: (after a pause) Wait, I thought it was the meek who inherited the Earth.
Sabitathica: Oh yeah, right. I forgot about the meek. I tell you what though - you can both inherit it.
C: (with humorous sarcasm) Oh... okay, thanks.
Sabitathica: But you'd probably have to fight over it.
C: (interested now) Fight over it?
Sabitathica: Yeah, like an all out war between the Weepy and the Meek. And the prize? Earth. Inheriting the Earth. I can't wait. It's gonna be awesome!
C: Yeah (imitating the Meek in a quiet voice) um... it's okay, you can have the Earth, I don't want to inherit it. Really. (now imitating the Weepy in an emo voice) I don't want to inherit it either! (sniffle) It'd probably just be stupid anyway! (sigh) My life sucks...

~~~~~~~

In other news, I am freshly returned from an hour of observing (an approximation of) humanity at the loud bar where I eat my lunch every day (Sidebar - so named because it faces the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals), and I would like to suggest that there are fewer extroverts living among us than we've been led to believe.

Most people who act like extroverts are only imitating extroverts. Living lives based on shame and hurting, they admire the apparent confidence and security they see (on billboard-like display) all around them everyday, everywhere.

But those who aspire to self-confidence (or more accurately, those who aspire to have other people think of them as self-confident) sound false notes constantly. You can hear it in their laughter, which sits somewhere south of genuine. You can see it in their mannerisms, which house hesitation and self-reproach. You can feel it in their self-awareness, which is approval-seeking. They're con men, and they buy each moment of their lives with make-believe monopoly money.

Plus my fries were undercooked.

~~~~~~~

And you'll be happy to know that heat at the Nunnery is back on! Apparently the gas valve (which has already been replaced twice) went bad again. But, I am told, it shouldn't happen again. This time everything's fixed for good and we don't anticipate any more trouble. Really, swear to god. No worries, everything's fine.

What could possibly go wrong?