Sunday, January 10, 2010

Avatar

Today we went from brunch at the Carroll Street Cafe to Borders, and then to see Avatar at the Midtown cinema.

A short play:

Everyone: Avatar is amazing! You have to see it!
Sabitathica: Yeah, maybe. But James Cameron directed it.
Everyone: Who's that?
Sabitathica: The guy who directed Titanic.
Everyone: Oh, right. I hated that movie. But this one's amazing. You have to see it!
Sabitathica: Maybe. I don't know. It sounds like "Titanic in Space" to me.
Everyone: That's not fair. It's a good movie. You should really see it.
Sabitathica: "I want you to paint me like one of your Zorg girls..."
Everyone: You're such an asshole.

But Cameron was also involved in Solaris (as producer), and he didn't fuck that up, so I decided to give it a whirl. And it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting. It looked terrific, but the story was only eh. All in all I thought it was a little overdressed for the occasion. Plus our theater (theater four, for future biographers) had no heat, which affected my experience.

After Avatar, we snuck in to see Sherlock Holmes, something I haven't done in probably fifteen years. I liked S.H. just as much, if not better than Avatar. It was more clever, less emotionally in my business, and the camera loves Robert Downey Jr.

Then to a nearby Thai restaurant for plum wine, ginger tea, and chicken massaman. Home again at last to warm up. Good times.