Thursday, January 28, 2010

Life in Hell

My commute to the life-sucking convention center involves crossing the Eugene Talmadge Memorial Bridge.


Twice.


The bridge spans the Savannah River. The life-sucking convention center is on the north side of the river. Here's two pictures taken from the life-sucking convention center.



~~~~~~~

But let me tell you about this conference.

Although it ostensibly exists to support music, it actually exists to support an industry that has grown up around music. Although the people in attendance claim to be music-lovers, they are actually lovers of an industry that has grown up around music. And no one seems to know the difference.

Very strange.

Also, everyone is acting like a salesman. And they're all excited about it. As though they've been waiting impatiently all year long for their chance (finally!) to get to act like door-to-door used car salesmen.

I find it all unsavory. It's sucking the life from my brains. It's trying to turn me into a zombie.

~~~~~~~

By contrast, my room at the Hilton feels like home. The corridor of the Hilton:


The keycard that opens my room keeps not working. It's mysterious. I'm on my third one. I've only been here 24 hours and the hotel manager already knows me by name.