Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Staycation?

Last night I was online checking into my flight when I learned a curious fact:

The expiration dates on passports aren’t necessarily the dates they become ineffective.

The Netherlands, for instance, won’t grant you entrance to their country if your passport expires within three months of the last day of your visit. And mine expires in two.

Uh oh.

After looking at the options still available to us - including attempting the trip and risking being turned back when we reach Amsterdam - we made the decision to cancel our flights and reschedule this whole trip for some time in July. I asked L, who was helping me pack, to call Continental and ask about changing the dates of our tickets. Josh canceled our hotel reservations.

The tide didn’t turn until L spoke to Joanna, super customer-service supervisor from Continental. Together these two women, by force of will (although L prefers the word "Magic"), devised a complicated plan to get me and Josh to the Netherlands.

Six hours later, at 01:00, after much strategizing and the details finally settled, we began to pack.

~~~~~~~

I'm at the Atlanta airport now. My flight has been delayed two hours due to weather in Newark.

If this elaborate plan works I'll be spending the next eight days traveling the Netherlands. If it doesn't I'm spending them in Hoboken. This is known as jumping in and trusting the process.