Friday, December 26, 2008

Driving

I noticed something three years ago while driving on I-75. I've always been a pretty good driver, generally careful, with reliable instincts about what the cars around me are likely to do. And I've watched other drivers for years selfishly take advantage of me and my passengers. Drivers are forever doing shitty things to each other, only thinking of themselves, and without any real clue of how their actions are affecting fellow travelers of the road. But three years ago I noticed that, at least some of the time, other drivers were selfish because I was careful.

So I decided to imitate the outward behavior of the drivers around me and give the impression I was only dimly aware of what was going on, something like the way people drive when they're on a cellphone. Other drivers seemed to wake up when I did that, and become less likely to take advantage and do shitty things. It seemed like there was only a limited amount of carefulness to go around, and when I use more of it there's less for other drivers. And when I use less, even in appearance, then other drivers tend to become more socially integrated and well-behaved.

I found affecting recklessness distasteful at the time, but I continue to do it because it seems to keep me and my passengers safer. I've recently begun integrating this idea into my social life.