Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I know why the caged bird processes paperwork

It snowed here for a minute yesterday. Some years that's all the snowing it does, but I think we'll be getting more this time around. I didn't get any pictures of the snow because I somehow managed to misplace L's camera on Thanksgiving. My brain is changing a little in my middle age: it's different now to what it was in my roaring twenties.

Today I began my periodic process of giving good people bad news. And good people good news. And etc. I tell about 100 people per year that they can study at music school and about 75 they can't. Mostly I tell them in writing but sometimes, like today, I tell them in person.

I meet a lot of people who want to somehow engage with music in their professional lives, many of them with great illusions about their place in the world. But that's part of what college is for, no?

I am 11 days from 11 years at the Greatest Music School on God's Green Earth. Huzzah!