Monday, January 8, 2007

Frank and Ava

7:24 PM
The Nunnery

You're going to tell me it's stupid to write about the same record over and over and I'm going to tell you to fuck off. That's right. It's Astral Weeks.

Your argument is based on a false premise anyway, because Astral Weeks is not so much a record as it is a religion encoded in sound; or a secret handshake used by initiates to recognize each other. The bass player on this album alone is worthy of your whole attention. And how to describe the quality of Van's voice? Beside You? Ballerina? He's a natural philosopher, an alchemist. There's a month's worth of wandering in the woods in his voice.

It doesn't matter if you don't believe me. I'm still going to show you a picture I took of a butterfly last summer on my birthday.




Work today was something else. Welcoming all the kiddies back after their long winter naps. It was good to see them.


~~~~~~~

10:55 PM

Now playing: In the Wee Small Hours by Sinatra. The song is Glad to Be Unhappy.

Unrequited love's a bore
And I've got it pretty bad
But for someone you adore
it's a pleasure to be sad

As I remember reading, he made this record after separating from Ava Gardner. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but it's pretty fucking melancholy music. Feeling sad? Broken up? Depressed? Don't listen to this. Walk on by.