Saturday, January 13, 2007

I woke up twice today

Dr. Bombay's
3:45 PM

It's January 13th, traditionally an important day. I drank too much last night. Went to Sidebar after work. It was the regular crew, meaning Jason, Rashid and Sabitathica. And Michelle joined us for a little while before she had to get back to her husband. She and I made loose plans for the three of us to take in a movie this weekend. We wanted Pan's Labyrinth, but apparently it's not been released yet, aside from an advanced screening. Then, a pleasant surprise, Spengler and Redmond joined us as well. We left Sidebar to go for margaritas at the La Fonda in my hood, Candler Park. There we were joined by Sheila E. and her friend Sarah. Rashid held court over tostones on one of his favorite topics: the relationship of the created to it's creator and how that relationship evolves with time. If you've never heard Rashid riff on this subject, you really should. He pulls in cybernetics, the future of mankind, procreation, and artificial intelligence, both the scientific field of study and the Spielberg film, which I always have to remind him, sucked.

From there we went back to the Nunnery, where we were joined by Jason C., a guy I've always liked, but've never had over to the Nunnery before. There was much rejoicing. So much, in fact, that I didn't get to bed until, what, 5:00? It was a night of many statistically improbable events, including Redmond and myself smoking cigars in the kitchen, something I haven't done in, if I had to guess, at least four years, maybe more.

The Nunnery was a mess, by the way, in case you were wondering. For instance, there's rather large locks of my hair still on the floor of the bathroom from when I misguidedly (pronounced 'drunkenly') tried to cut my own hair before the winter holiday. Luckily, and as I've posted before, Vlindinhauer was able to cut my hair properly in Boston. Everyone was too polite to mention the state my bathroom floor is in.

I woke up twice today. The first time, about 10:30 AM, prematurely. We drank Patron tequila last night after we got back to the Nunnery, and Sweetwater 420. I'm sure I'm the first person in the history of, you know, stuff, to not realize until the next morning how far things went the night before. I tried to wake up at 10:30, tried to get it together, sit, etc., but it was all in vain. I don't usually let my body do whatever it wants, but this morning I did. I went back to bed until about 3:30 PM. But first, and apropos of cybernetics and the future of mankind and stuff, I watched the pilot episode of Futurama. Rashid would be proud.

Suzanne W., an old friend and colleague, called this morning. We're playing phone tag. She's back in Atlanta with her husband John and their son after having lived elsewhere for a few years.

Moving chronologically widdershins, work yesterday was the culmination of a damn busy week. I won't bore you, but suffice to say the music school kiddies are as charming and adorably high maintenance as ever. My day began with a meeting at which I had to advise a student that she wouldn't be allowed to continue her studies in the school of music, due to poor grades. Things picked up momentum from there. In one nice moment, I went to Slice for lunch and bumped into Jason and Heather J. Heather said something about the 'cornflower blue tie' I was wearing, which, I'm sure you know, is a reference to Fight Club. Three cheers for Fight Club! Huzzah!